Friday, January 13, 2006

Getting "jiggy" with my bad self

I don't have a great singing voice. I wish I did but I don't and even having a gainfully-employed-for-a-major-city-lyric-opera dramatic soprano as an my former college roommate isn't going to change the fact that I can't carry a tune if you give me a 5 gallon bucket. So, I don't sing in public and I don't sing in the shower. I try hard not to even hum when I'm around other people. BUT, when I'm in the car alone, watch out Madonna. I'm not sure if it is the fact that today is Friday or that it is a Friday that is also a pay day or if it is because it is going to be almost 60 degrees here in the normally bitter cold Northeast but this morning I didn't want to listen to my "Rush Hour French" or NPR or even the AM radio newstation that has traffic every 1o minutes. I wanted to sing.

So, I opened the sun roof a bit, turned on the oldies station and cranked up the volume. I belted out "RESPECT" with Aretha. I sang "Sound of Silence" with Simon and Garfunkel. I even got in touch with my ragin' cajun roots with Credence Clearwater Revival. Lucky for me all the people in the cars around me could see was me be boppin' my way into work because I'm pretty sure that if they could have heard me there would have been some rotten tomatoes thrown my way...

Friday's Random 10

You know the rules: Put your I-Pod on shuffle, write down the first 10 songs that pop up and no cheating to look cool. Links so you can listen.

1. Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles
2. Stranded - Van Morrison
3. Closing Time - Semisonic
4. Speed of Sound - Cold Play
5. Gloria -U2
6. Eclogue for Piano and Strings in F Major - Gerald Finzi
7. Black - Pearl Jam
8. My Medea - Vienna Tang
9.Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots
10. Just Another - Sharif

That last song is from a website called Podsafe Music Network. My favourite podcaster, Dan O'Leary uses this site to find music for his very excellent podcast Hotel Coffee. He used this song in his second podcast. I'm hooked on downloading music from there now as well as on Dan's podcast. So, go check both of them out. I think you'll like what you hear.