Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pantry Plan Week Six: Re-discovered Favorites

As I enter Week Six of The Pantry Plan, I'm discovering a few things:

  1. When I finally end this plan, I'm never ever shopping at a grocery store without a list again

  2. I'm never making a grocery list again without first making a menu plan

  3. I'm having fun trying to find recipes that match the contents of my pantry; especially the older cookbooks like The Victory Binding of The American Woman's Cookbook and the budget meal section many of the Better Homes and Garden cookbooks from the 60's and 70's

  4. My pantry is much bigger and better stocked than I first imagined and even after six weeks, I feel like I've barely made a dent in the excess of food


One of the most pleasant surprises for me came this weekend. I opened a can of sardines in mustard sauce for a quick and light lunch on Sunday. While the sardines warmed over a candle, I made homemade melba toast with some left over bread and sliced some some good Dutch cheese I have been hoarding since Arden's visit to go with the warmed sardines.

As I waited for the melba toast to finish, I looked up at the picture that sits on top of my bookcase in my kitchen of my grandfather and I sitting at the end of his dock, fishing poles in the water and a picnic basket at our feet. Inside that picnic basket was a tin of sardines, a package of saltines and some cheese; the meal we always shared when we were fishing together, and that meal was a special as the time we spent fishing.

Blowing a kiss towards my grandfather, I sat down at my breakfast bar, opened the book I was reading and proceeded to have a very pleasant lunch. I have The Pantry Plan to thank for more than helping me save money and empty my pantry.

I have The Pantry Plan to thank for reminding how good sardines are and for letting me savor such wonderful memories of the time I spent with my grandfather.

Pantry Plan Update - Week Six:

I didn't shop for food at either the store or the Farmer's Market this past weekend. I still had plenty of veggies from last week, my milk is good, and my garden is just going gangbusters. So, the total for groceries this week is $0.00.

Pantry Plan To Date Grocery Totals:




$63.85 including Farmer's Market, non-home grown vegetables, and dairy/perishable goods