Monday, October 27, 2008

Banned from the Post Office By A Burger Joint

After being here by my side through the past month to help me through the loss and aftermath of Wren's death, my mom left for the family home in Michigan today. I can't believe how quiet my apartment is tonight after the evenings we've spent cooking, watching old romance movies on video/DVD, and laughing and crying together. I couldn't have made it through this without her and I'm so thankful she was able to be here with me.

If you've been a long time reader, you know my mom and I are more than mother/daughter but also best friends and traveling companions. One of the things I can always count on my mom for on any visit or trip is a moment uncontrollable levity and unplanned hilarity.

Considering the reason for her trip this past month, I wasn't really expecting to have one of those moments but today, thankfully, my mom provided not only me but the entire counter staff at the Saugatuck Post Office with the ultimate verbal slip-up and the best laugh I've had in a month.

We were at the post office to mail the last two of eight boxes we've shipped back to Michigan this afternoon before leaving for the airport and having a grand conversation with one of the clerks who has visited my home town in Michigan. We were discussing air travel and the trails and tribulations of airport food when the subject of good burger joints near airports came up. While trying to remember the name of a regional burger chain from Michigan my sweet, innocent, crap is a dirty word mother uttered the following:

"OH I know what burger chain you are talking about Muddfu@#ers!"

"Um...Mom, I think you mean Fuddruckers."

Between the clerks trying not to burst out laughing and the sudden dawning on my mother's face when she realized what she had actually said I didn't think I would get out of the post office without peeing my pants.

Thanks Mom! I needed that and the clerks at the Saugatuck Post Office can't wait until you come back in the Spring. I've already booked you for two shows daily...