Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Looking for fun and feelin' groovy...

I know I owe you a review of last week's cookbook and the menu for this week's cookbook but when I looked into the freezer and saw all the freezer containers full of leftovers from the last two months of the Cookbook Casting Call.

Cookbook Casting Call Leftover Stuffed Freezer

I decided I had to do something about it. So, this week is going to be a week of eating leftovers from the freezer and cooking/baking for fun.

Tonight, when I got home from work, I didn't open mail and I didn't turn on NPR or the nightly business report to find out exactly how many more years I'm going to have to work before I can retire to Paris. Nope, instead I gave LB a belly rub

LB Belly Up

and a big peck on the nose, changed into my jammies and cow slippers, tossed some toe tapping tunes into the CD player and got down to having fun in the kitchen.

I prepped a picnic shoulder with dry rub for some good Tennessee pulled pork BBQ for sandwiches that will be a dinner on Thursday for a friend whose wife just had some surgery. I also made some buttermilk coleslaw to go on top the pulled pork. Tomorrow morning, the picnic shoulder will go in the slow cooker and I'll put dough to go through its first rise for some homemade rolls to serve the pulled pork on.

I also made some dessert for them too.

Gluten, Nut, Dairy Free Brownies

Now don't those brownies look fantatasic?!

Want to know a little secret about this whole meal?

It is gluten, dairy, and nut free from beginning to end. My friend's son is allergic to all that and seafood too. But I didn't want that to mean they couldn't have a great meal meal. My good friend, Natalie at Gluten a Go Go gave the recipe for the brownies. I'm telling you, they are fantastic tasting.

Because we're having fun at The Sour Dough this week, I'm going to share my playlist from tonight (CD changer on random).

I stood in the kitchen just singing along with the tunes at the top of my lungs. I won't be trying out for American Idol anytime soon but I had a blast puttering around in the kitchen belting out some of my favorite music; even if the neighbor's didn't enjoy the floor show...

Breadchick's Bad Ass (To her anyways) Baking Playlist

California Dreaming: Shaw-Blades(Influence)
Seek Up: Dave Matthews Band (Live at Red Rocks)
Crazy Mary: Pearl Jam (B Sides)
Don't Lay Down: Catie Curtis (My Shirt Looks Good on You)
Ten Cent Wings: Jonatha Brooke (Live)
Your Move: Shaw-Blades (Influence)
Driver: REM (Eponymous)
Lover: Dave Matthews Band (Live at Red Rocks)
So. Central Rain: REM (Eponymous)
West Point: Jonatha Brooke (Live)
The Long Road: Pearl Jam (B Sides)
Leaving Here: Pearl Jam (B Sides)
I Am a Rock: Shaw-Blades(Influence) Note: This is the most rocking version of one of my favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs I've ever heard!
Kiss that Counted: Catie Curtis (My Shirt Looks Good on You)
Summer Breeze: Shaw-Blades
Radio Free Europe: REM (Eponymous)
Watchtower: Dave Matthews Band (Live at Red Rocks)
Alone: Pearl Jam (B Sides)
Sugar Cane: Catie Curtis (My Shirt Looks Good on You)
At the Still Point: Jonatha Brooke (Live)
Lucky Man: Shaw-Blades (Influence)
Your Move: Shaw-Blades (Influence)
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter: Pearl Jam (B Sides)
In the Gloaming: Jonatha Brooke (Live)
Two Step: Dave Matthews Band (Live at Red Rocks)

Further because it is fun, here is a gratuitous picture of early spring flowers, crocus

The crocus poking up in the front yard

And finally, here the recipe for Natalie's fantastic fudge brownies.

Have fun out there this week!

Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Brownies

3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 Tb nut & gf free unsweetened cocoa powder
good pinch of salt
1 tsp gf baking powder
3/4 cup soft light brown sugar
1/4 cup dairy free spread or vegetable shortening
2 Tb water
scant 1 cup (3 1/2 oz) nut & gf free semisweet chocolate
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, beaten

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 7 x 11 baking pan with parchment paper.

2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into a bowl.

3. Put the sugar, butter/dairy free spread or vegetable shortening, water chocolate, and vanilla in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until melted.

4. Pour into the flour mixture, add the eggs and beat until smooth.

5. Transfer to the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until firm to the touch and slightly crusty on the top.

6. Let cool for 10 minutes then mark into 15 squares. Cool completely before removing from the pan. Store in an airtight container.