Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Bad Blogger, "Bad" Salad

I've been a really bad blogger and worse yet, a bad blog reader.

Despite my best efforts to keep up with my daily reads and so many of my friend's blogs, I've fallen way behind. My feed reader says I have over 3,000 unread posts!! I missed visiting my Daring Baker sisters and brothers blogs after the strudel posts. I haven't even scratched the crust of the Anadama and Greek Celebration posts from fellow BBA participants and sure don't go looking for Bagels or Brioche on my blog. Those two lovely breads are just going to have to wait until the end of June now.

Believe me, it hasn't been malice or lack of interest that has kept me from your blogs. Rather, I just looked at the number of days I've been home since Mama Breadchick left and discovered that I have only been home for six week days and four weekend days. Yikes. No wonder I can't find kitchen tools in my own cupboards.

Almost as bad has been my ability to answer emails from dear friends and readers. I owe so many of you answers and replies, you probably have black listed my email address. I haven't even been able to finish an outline for a bread baking class I've been asked to teach.

I promise though, I'm going to kick my butt into gear this week and try to get as caught up as I can. Starting right now...

Who knew there would be so many of you fascinated by the idea of corn bread salad. Fascinated like watching a car wreck for some of you and others leaving me comments and emails begging me for the recipe.

So, for you my pretties, I called Shirley's Home Cooking today to find out what was in their cornbread salad. They were as sweet as could be and while they didn't give me the recipe, they told me what was in their cornbread salad. A little Google action and I think I can give you a close enough recipe.

No guarantees on if you will like this but it sure is interesting...

Corn Bread Salad
(Inspired by Shirley's Home Cooking Corn Bread Salad)

1 9 x 9 pan Southern corn bread (Note: Southern corn bread uses white corn meal and no sugar vs Northen cornbread which uses yellow corn meal and sugar)
1 cup chopped white onions
1 cup chopped green peppers
1 cup sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 small jar pimentos, chopped
1/2 cup dill pickle juice
salt and pepper to taste

Crumble corn bread, divide in half and set aside in 2 bowls, one large and one medium bowl and set aside.

In the large bowl, combine 1/2 crumbled corn bread and all remaining ingredients.

Using another large clear glass bowl, put half the remaining crumbled corn bread on the bottom. Next spoon on top the cornbread mixture and smooth. Finally, sprinkle remaining crumbled cornbread on top.

Cover and let sit overnight in the fridge. Serve cold with country ham or country fried chicken dinner.